Thursday, November 13, 2014

Temperature troubles


My husband and I primed the bench last night,  it looked great.  I was hoping this afternoon while the kids were at school I could start painting it.  Nearly 24hrs and it's still wet....  even after putting a small space heater outside in the garage with it.  I decided to take a break.  Off to Starbucks for my favorite hot chocolate.  (I should be their hot chocolate spokes model.) 
It's snowing right now so I am taking time to appreciate the beauty of it.   I stopped by Costco and purchased a better space heater because I plan to be in my winter workshop a lot and I want to invest in a better space heater. 
They had this guy in his wood shop working next to his table saw of death so it must be good,  right?  And it was reasonably priced so I got it.  It is now warming up the bench so I can paint it the espresso color that it is destined to become.  I am hoping that in a few hours the primer will finally be dry and we can get things moving. 
In the meantime I started sanding this cute claw foot coffee table that I am going to turn into an ottoman using this beautiful Waverly fabric.  
I have made several other ottomans like this one and I think they turn out nicely. 
There are a lot of ups and downs in doing furniture and hidden costs (like if you mis-measure a board and need a replacement or a new space heater because it's too cold for paint to dry) so when people ask if I make a lot of money the answer is no,  definitely not.  It's my hobby and therapy and if I am lucky I get a few dollars an hour doing it.  
When I am old,  this will be me.  Still trying to create and make beautiful things because it's part of who I am and it makes me happy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment