Wednesday, April 29, 2015

In-stain in the membrane

Forever ago, I posted a video of me sandblasting the paint off an old headboard.  
Sandblasting worked pretty well on some of the tough to reach places.  I definitely have not perfected the process but I would try it again in the future if the need arises.  
I then repainted the bench with an outdoors fleck stone spray paint.  After the repaint I attached the lion crest and I added dark wax to age up the fleck stone spray.  
Using pocket screws and 1x4's I made a seat for the bench.  I then tried to wood fill some of the gaps in between to make a butcher block type of solid surface. 
I used my Ryobi orbital sander on heavy grit paper to get the uneven spots out and worked it smoother with 220 after to achieve a nicer texture. 
I then applied several layers of Minwax Polyshades.  This product is a stain and a finish polyurethane combo and I wanted to try it out.  It's supposed to work on already finished wood as well with just a light sanding first.  I am going to try that technique very soon.  I have an old table in my garage that I need to unbury and I would love to not have to strip it before staining. 
Here is the seat after more coats.  It is a rich and nice dark red.  Before the final coat, I lightly sanded with 220 grit paper again and then the finish coat looks much smoother. 
This is the old headboard turned bench today.  I like the contrast between the wood and the faux stone, it gives it a earthy and ancient feel. 
Here are a few more photos so you can see the wood grain and the knots in the wood.  It will make a fun entryway bench here until it finds a home. 

Have a great day!  I will be outside enjoying this beautiful spring day, I hope you will be enjoying it as well. 

Love, Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment