So the ottoman tray is done! It is a bright and shiny day today so I have it drying in the sunshine. I did stain it twice just to get the rich deep color I was looking for.
It is looking great, I am really excited about it. I tried out 2 different stains on a piece of scrap wood.
I tried Minwax Jacobean stain, and General Finishes Java Jel stain. I loved the better showing of the wood grain with the Minwax. I will use the Java on another project but for this one I chose Minwax.
The boards looked like this after my distressing and now it was time to nail them together. I used the air nailer and my pocket square to make sure the comers were perfect.
I got it all together and then it was time to stain. Here is my kit: newspapers, gloves, the match to the old sock, a small paintbrush for details and a roll of paper towels.
The little paintbrush was very handy between the boards and along the edges.
I am just waiting for the second coat of sealer to dry but I love it! It looks like something expensive from a store like Pottery Barn but for a much smaller price, I hope it's new owner loves it just as much as I do.