It's not close to being done, it will have side rails with matching spindles and the bench will be a two tone of a light pink and a light creamy yellow.
I started with this headboard and footboard but they were so low to the ground that it would not be a great bench to sit on. After much thought and a lot of going back to the drawing board on how to add height, it occurred to me after a few other design ideas, that I could give it taller feet.
Before the headboard was barely taller than the footboard and after adding the feet it was a much better height.
These are the feet I went with, they are the perfect height addition I needed, I eventually did the footboard legs too.
I drilled the bottoms and screwed and glued the new feet on. I even added some finish nails to help hold the glue while it dried.
After getting the feet attached on the baseboard I decided to just keep the posts and to use these spindles near the end to do the side rails.
I made pocket screws with my Kreg Jig and made a frame for the bench.
I started putting the MDF boards across the top. MDF has a nice finished product but it is not strong enough for the chair frame over a long time. Pine and other inexpensive woods like to split easily and not hold the pocket screws well. I like using a poplar boards or better wood for added strength.
I am nearing being done with the seat, now just to finish the side rails and to paint it. It will eventually be a two tone in light pink and light yellow to resemble something close to this style paint wise.
So that is the first half of my bench. I am going to add seat support underneath going horizontally and then do the sides. After I will do more filling, caulking and then painting. That is all for now, stick with me to see upcoming part two!